PolicyPak
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using the Java Paks we provide (extra guidance)

2 posters

Go down

Using the Java Paks we provide (extra guidance) Empty Using the Java Paks we provide (extra guidance)

Post  jeremym Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:43 pm

Starting Oct 24th, 2013 we will be creating a new version of the Java Pak for each version that comes out.

And, On Nov 4th, 2013, we decided to create paks for the last previous FIVE Javas that exist. Therefore, as of this writing we ship the following Paks:

Oracle Java Version 6 (should perform most features of most versions of Java 6)
Oracle Java Version 7 u 17.
Oracle Java Version 7 u 21.
Oracle Java Version 7 u 25.
Oracle Java Version 7 u 40.
Oracle Java Version 7 u 45.
Oracle Java Version 7 u 45 for XP.
Oracle Java Version 8 u 40 (EXPERIMENTAL).

Notes:

• The paks are "hard coded" to work ONLY for that version of Java.
  • The ones listed "Windows 7 and later" are writing their data in the location for Windows 7 and later, and not for XP.

That is, there are "Internal ILT" filters on the Java 6 Pak, Java 7 u 17, 21, 25, 40, and 45 Paks... so it will *ONLY* apply settings when Java 7 u (THAT VERSION) is ACTUALLY on the machine.

(For more information on Internal ILT filters, check out this video for what we did: http://www.policypak.com/videos/3ZfbZ9rXsos )

TIP #1: Deciding to use the specific Java paks (or not)
---

If you set up the Java Pak before Oct 24, 2013, and if everything is working TODAY, and you're super happy.. then do nothing. Everything will keep working.

However, if you HAVE multiple versions of Java in your world, you might want to take advantage of the SPECIFIC paks which only deliver settings *TO* that specific versions of Java.

And, when we have ANOTHER version of Java Pak that comes out, you might want to use the following steps to get your settings into that specific Pak:

a. Use the GPMC and look at the SETTINGS REPORT tab for your EXISTING Java entry. Print it / save the HTML report. This notes the settings you already want to use.
b. Copy in the right DLL into the Central Store.
c. Delete the existing PP entry.
d. Re-create the entry using the SPECIFIC Java Pak and configure as needed.

NOTE:

If you're NOT seeing settings take effect on the target machine, what's almost CERTAINLY the issue.. is that you are NOT ACTUALLY using the "right" version of Java -- hardcoded for the specific Pak. Starting with CSE 605 and Paks compiled with 603, you can "Bypass" Internal hardcoded entries. See this video for how to do that (http://www.policypak.com/videos/bypassing-internal-item-level-targeting-filters.html). Again: If you don't see the option to "bypass" you're not already using 605-compiled Paks. NOTE: This still won't make your Java version (for Win7) magically work on XP. See the next note.

Tip #2: Make these Java Paks work on XP and not just Windows 7 and later
----

We're supplying the Paks:

Oracle Java Version 6 for Win 7 and also XP.
Oracle Java Version 7 u 17.
Oracle Java Version 7 u 21.
Oracle Java Version 7 u 25.
Oracle Java Version 7 u 40.
Oracle Java Version 7 u 45.
and
Oracle Java Version 7 u 45 for XP.

And THAT is subject to change. We'll likely only ever ship one Pak with XP, and that will be the LATEST.

But, you can make the OTHERS also work for XP, and it's really easy.

Here's how:
http://www.policypak.com/videos/policypak-using-policypak-designstudio-to-modify-the-java-paks-for-xp

If you have questions / something I've missed or need clarity on, please please post here.

Thank you !

Last edited by jeremym on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
jeremym
jeremym

Back to top Go down

Using the Java Paks we provide (extra guidance) Empty Re: Using the Java Paks we provide (extra guidance)

Post  meanoldman Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Quick Q

Just to make sure I am clear on what you said below, if I have a mix of 40 and 45 floating around out there, I should create PP objects for both 40 and 45 and link them to appropriate OUs, correct?

OR, just leave the old pre October Java pak in place and let it do its thing providing it is working

And obviously I should get everybody consistantly on one version...which I have a question about on GPanswers

meanoldman

Back to top Go down

Using the Java Paks we provide (extra guidance) Empty The better plan...

Post  jeremym Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:56 pm

While the "older" paks might be working, a better plan is to tie a specific Pak to a specific set of directives.

So, yes: Create one GPO (or multiple .. that's fine too.).. Make an entry for EACH Java version you have (J 7 u 40 and J7 u 45) and configure each.

Then the "right" version of Java will embrace the "right" directives -- automatically.. and not interefere with each other, because the Paks have Internal ILT Filters to "see" the right version of Java on the machines.

Clear?

PS: Send the link to the GPanswers.com post, and we'll check that out too. :-)
jeremym
jeremym

Back to top Go down

Using the Java Paks we provide (extra guidance) Empty Re: Using the Java Paks we provide (extra guidance)

Post  meanoldman Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:11 pm

Thanks Jeremy. What you wrote originally was already pretty clear, I just wanted to make sure I read it the way you meant it.

I think I like the new specific approach better, so I'll unlink the old GPO and apply the new ones for 40 and 45.

The GP answers Q is here http://www.gpanswers.com/community/topic/java-update-via-gpo-yet-again/

Regards pushing java updates via GPO to computers where it was previously installed manually.

meanoldman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down