PolicyPak
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switched Mode

2 posters

Go down

Switched Mode Empty Switched Mode

Post  mvpatrick Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:30 am

I have created a "Firefox" PP / GPO and enabled it at the Computer Configuration level. It is linked and enforced at my Computers OU.

Everything is working great for my Firefox installations at c:\program files\ mozilla firefox (i.e.; installed as an Admin)

However, I also need to apply these settings at any User installed instances of Firefox - c:\documents and settings\<userid>\local settings\application data\mozilla firefox

I have made sure that the "Firefox" PP / GPO settings are configured as "Always reapply this setting" (as described within the PP QS Guide starting at pg 44).

Please let me know what I am doing wrong. Is this not what "Switched Mode" is for? Etc?

I am hoping that I can manage all Firefox installs on a PC. That includes those at "c:\program files" and those at "c:\documents and settings"

Thanks so much.

mvpatrick

Back to top Go down

Switched Mode Empty I know what you're asking for.

Post  jeremym Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:10 am

In short: You'd need to use the DesignStudio to (screenshot http://screencast.com/t/kps7yBbtVX ):

1. Open up the Firefox XML
2. Change the Data File Name to point to the right location. WITHOUT having tested this myself, my suggestion would be something like %localappdata%\mozilla\firefox\profiles.ini
3. Change the Project Name. DONT have the same (default) project name as another project you already have. So, call this one "Mozilla Firefox in AppData" or something.
4. In the COMPILE part, give it also a different name. Like pp-FirefoxAppData.dll

Then SAVE AS so your XML isn't overwriting the original we supply.

Then test away. Change #2 as necessary until you've got it.

TROUBLESHOOT by looking in the PP Client logs and seeing what the CSE "thinks" is happening.. if it's not finding the file, you dont have item #2 right.

Post your results for the rest of us.. :-)

Thanks !
jeremym
jeremym

Back to top Go down

Switched Mode Empty Re: Switched Mode

Post  mvpatrick Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

As it turns out this is quite a difficult task due to the way Mozilla / Firefox manages the profiles. And it is further complicated when used on both WinXP and Win7.

I do NOT believe this is possible.

But I will update if I find out differently.

Thanks.

mvpatrick

Back to top Go down

Switched Mode Empty Re: Switched Mode

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum