PolicyPak
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upgrade to PP Build 605

2 posters

Go down

Upgrade to PP Build 605 Empty Upgrade to PP Build 605

Post  mvpatrick Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:14 pm

I am in the process of upgrading to PP Build 605.

My question is about the new Firefox PAKs.

The new pak files are named "pp-Mozilla Firefox ESR 24.1" (dll and xml). The older pak files were named "pp-firefox" (dll and xml).

Do you recommend renaming the new pak files to match the previous? Otherwise, it will say not found and then when you point to the new file it will "zero" out all settings from the previous configuration.

However, it might be nice to keep the new name as it indicates the FF version.

I am just looking for your input and thoughts. I realize that there is probably no right or wrong answer.

Thanks.

mvpatrick

Back to top Go down

Upgrade to PP Build 605 Empty Some of the "Internal project names" have been updated.

Post  jeremym Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:48 pm

So the way PP-GPOtouch works is that it tries to update the DLLs and the "guts" of the GPO based upon a match of Project Name.. not DLL name.

So It *IS* true that we're trying to get more consistency in the internal project names; and as such, if we did change them on our side.. then they're not going to match.

Therefore, what you can do is:

1. Make a copy of the GPO for safekeeping for the next steps.
2. Make a copy of the DLL you used in the past for safekeeping.
3. Remove the old DLL from the central store.
4. Copy the NEW DLL to the central store or new share based storage.
5. Right-click the FF entry and select RECONNECT as seen here: http://screencast.com/t/edcJSeAETD
6. Carefully pick the DLL you want to substitute (usually the latest version): http://screencast.com/t/qu1MzmTjX9

That should laterally upgrade an old pak to a new pak .. regardless of the DLL name and/or project name.
jeremym
jeremym

Back to top Go down